Exposure to the sun is vital to your overall health and wellbeing. Soaking up those rays can ward off depression, help manufacture Vitamin D, which is essential for bone health, and even help regulate your blood pressure.
Yet, as we all know, too much sun light can be detrimental, increase the risk of skin cancer and cause early skin aging. As with most biological processes there needs to be a balance; sun exposure is good, but there is a limit and too much sun exposure can be harmful especially for the skin. UV rays produce massive amounts of reactive free radicals that cause cell damage and premature aging.
The bad news is, it does not matter what season it is or what the weather is like, those harmful ultraviolet rays are abundant. Most of us know the importance of wearing sunscreen during summer months to protect our skin from sun burn and damage, but it should be a year-round preventative health measure. You should wear a sunscreen every day, even on cloudy days, because up to 80 percent of the sun’s rays can pass through the clouds. And the presence of snow can nearly double the amount of ultraviolet radiation that bombards your skin. This means, every single day of the year, no matter what the weather is like, you need to be applying SPF.
Top 5 most important reasons to wear sunscreen daily:
Wearing sunscreen is one of the best and easiest ways to protect your skin’s appearance and health at any age.
- It protects your skin from UV rays: Sunscreen blocks harmful UV rays and protects the skin from sunburn and skin damage. Look for products that contain at least an SPF15 and use each and every day.
- It lowers your risk of skin cancer: Skin cancer is one of the most common cancers and by applying sunscreen each day, you cut your risk of contracting skin cancer in half. Skin cancer is non-discriminatory and can be diagnosed for any age, gender, or skin type. Sunscreen protects against DNA damage which can lead to skin cancer, therefore lowering skin cancer risks.
- It prevents premature aging: It is the most inexpensive and easiest way to prevent accelerated skin aging. Prevention is better than cure! Sun damage from UV rays causes photoaging of the skin, which is characterized by a thick, leathery look; discoloration; and a breakdown of collagen, which contributes to lines, sagging and wrinkles. Studies show that those below age 55 who apply sunscreen regularly have 24 percent less chance of developing these signs of aging than those who do not.
- It helps maintain an even skin tone: Sunscreen helps prevent discoloration and dark spots from sun damage, helping you maintain a smoother and more even skin tone.
- Keeps the skin nourished and hydrated: The sun’s harmful UV rays can accelerate dehydration and leave the skin feeling tight, dry, and irritated.
What to look for when selecting sunscreen:
- Broad spectrum: Product will provide protection against UVA and UVB rays, preventing sun burn as well as premature aging.
- Sports formula: Product will protect the skin despite perspiration for a specific duration of time.
- Sun protection factor (SPF): This numerical factor provides information on the level of protection provided against UVB rays and sun burn. A minimum of SPF 15 or 30 is recommended for everyday wear. When in direct sun, it is important to reapply sunscreen to exposed areas every 90 to 120 minutes.
- Non-comedogenic: Product that has been specifically formulated not to block or clog pores. Products that contain mineral oils tends to leave a residue and block pores.
- Anti-irritant and non-allergic: Products have been dermatologically tested to ensure that they are safe and well tolerated by sensitive skin and will not cause reactions or irritation to the skin’s immune system.
Cellular Sun Shield SPF50: A lightweight formula with balance UVA/UVB protection and a DNA-Repair Complex that provides protection against sunburn and premature light-induced skin aging.
- Sun protection and antiaging skincare.
- Strengthens the defence system of the skin and helps it to regenerate.
- Protect against pigmentation spots.
- Supports the skin’s own repair processes.
- Been tested in extreme locations (mountains and tropics) and can be used for sport.
Active Glow SPF15: A lightly tinted day cream with SPF and enriched with vitamins. Designed for skin tones light to dark to create an even and glowing complexion without the need for make-up! UV filters and an exclusive combination of vitamins ensure the skin is protected all year round.
- Prevents skin aging as well as light-induced skin aging.
- Powerful antioxidant and photoprotector.
- Great for active lifestyle in summer and winter.
- Enriched with vitamins to help keep the skin healthy and protect against free radicals.