How to keep your skin glowing all summer long, prevent breakouts and minimize sun damage:
Warm weather brings a whole heap of skincare-challenges. A solid skincare routine should be applicable to all seasons and climates. However, there are a couple of changes to consider when transitioning from winter to summer.
- Your skincare routine might have to be a little more lightweight. The heat and humidity of summer means you can swop out a milk cleanser in favour of a gentle gel cleanser. We recommend our EpiGen Pollution Detox Cleansing Gel or Purifying Cleansing Gel.
- Adopt a dual-purpose moisturiser or a moisturizer that easily and quickly absorbs into the skin. Thicker moisturisers can lead to clogged pores, inflammation and acne when used during humid and hot conditions. We recommend our Active Glow SPF15 (3 in 1 product), EpiGen Pollution Defense or Soft-Focus Pore Refining Cream.
- Do not stop moisturizing completely. The extra layer of sweat on your face does not count as a moisturiser. Despite the weather being hot and humid you still need to moisturise. Moisturisers re-establish the protective barrier of the skin to protect the skin from harmful pollutants and chemicals and prevents further irritation or dryness. A lightweight texture will help keep the outer layer of the skin nourished without feeling too heavy on the skin.
- Invest in a powerful antioxidant serum. Antioxidants helps to fight free radicals and oxidative stress. The sun produced massive amounts of photons and is the number one accelerator of premature aging. Use a serum between cleansing and moisturizing to detox the skin and protect the skin from harmful environmental factors. We recommend our EpiGen Pollution Detox Day Serum and Intense Energizing Serum.
- Add an exfoliation skincare-step. It is important not to over-exfoliate which can lead to inflammation and transepidermal water loss and to use an exfoliator that is not going to cause sensitivity to the sun. Alpha hydroxy fruit acids are scientifically proven as the most effective exfoliator to remove dead skin cells, even out skin tone and complexion and open up blocked pores to remove oil and dirt that results in acne. We recommend our Active Exfoliants and Fruit Acid Peel for a safe and effective exfoliation without causing trauma to the skin.
- Do not forget to hydrate. Hydration is always important for your skin but even more so in summer. All skin cells need water to function optimally and all signs of aging is linked to a loss of moisture and collagen in the skin. During summer the weather conditions, climate, and other environmental factors accelerate dehydration and can leave the skin feeling tight and irritated. We recommend our advanced Collagen Serums or Ultra Hydration Serum to quench thirsty skin.
- After sun protection must have, is a mask. Masks provide instant results and creates a unique wellness experience at home. We recommend using a mask that is going to replenish moisture loss, have powerful ingredients with a deep action, calm your complexion from sun burnt to sun kissed, alleviate itchy and dry patches, cushion fine lines and make the skin feel soft and smooth. We highly recommend our EpiGen Pollution Rescue Overnight Mask or Intensive Moisturizing Mask.
- SPF!!! We have saved the most important and fundamental don’t-leave-home-without-it tip for last! It is important to use sun protection all year round, especially during summer when the burning UVB rays are much stronger and the aging UVA rays maintains constant throughout the seasons. Applying a broad-spectrum sun cream with SPF30 – 50 will keep your skin in optimal condition long-term. We highly recommend our Cellular Sun Shield SPF50 and Your Daily High Protection Sun Cream SPF30 to protect your skin from natural and artificial light.