Our bodies were built to make good use of the sun and most people love the warmth and light of the sun. Sunlight helps to keep our sleeping patterns on track, releases endorphins for mood-lifting benefits and helps our skin to make vitamin D, which is needed for normal bone function and health.
There is a dark side of the sun and too much sun exposure can significantly damage the skin. The sun’s heat dries out the skin and depletes the skin’s natural supply of essential oils. Sun exposed skin can gradually lose moisture making it appear dry, flaky, and prematurely wrinkled. In addition, the sun produces UV rays and massive amounts of free radicals that can cause long term damage to the skin.
How to keep your skin glowing and protected in the heat:
- Pay attention to the condition of your skin and switch up your routine as the seasons change. Just like you would not wear winter clothes in summer your skincare routine needs to be tweaked.
- Your skincare routine might have to be a little more lightweight. The heat and humidity of summer means you can swop out a milk cleanser in favour of a gentle gel cleanser. We recommend our EpiGen Pollution Detox Cleansing Gel.
- Adopt a dual-purpose moisturiser or a moisturiser that easily and quickly absorbs into the skin. Thicker moisturisers can lead to clogged pores, inflammation and acne when used during humid and hot conditions. We recommend our Active Glow SPF15 (3 in 1 product) or EpiGen Pollution Defense Day & Night Gel-Cream.
- Do not stop moisturising completely. The extra layer of sweat on your face does not count as a moisturiser. Despite the weather being hot and humid you still need to moisturise. Moisturisers re-establish the protective barrier of the skin to protect the skin from harmful pollutants and chemicals and prevents further irritation or dryness. A lightweight texture will help keep the outer layer of the skin nourished without feeling too heavy on the skin.
- Invest in a powerful antioxidant serum. Antioxidants helps to fight free radicals and oxidative stress. The sun produces massive amounts of photons and is the number one accelerator of premature aging. Use a serum between cleansing and moisturizing to detox the skin and protect the skin from harmful environmental factors. We recommend our EpiGen Pollution Detox Day Serum.
- Add an exfoliation skincare-step. It is important not to over-exfoliate which can lead to inflammation and transepidermal water loss and to use an exfoliator that is not going to cause sensitivity to the sun. Alpha hydroxy fruit acids are scientifically proven as the most effective exfoliator to remove dead skin cells, even out skin tone and complexion and open up blocked pores to remove oil and dirt that results in acne. We recommend our Active Exfoliants for a safe and effective exfoliation without causing trauma to the skin.
- Do not forget to hydrate. Hydration is always important for your skin but even more so in summer. All skin cells need water to function optimally and all signs of aging is linked to a loss of moisture and collagen in the skin. During summer the weather conditions, climate, and other environmental factors accelerate dehydration and can leave the skin feeling tight and irritated. We recommend our advanced Collagen Serums to quench thirsty skin.
- After sun protection must have is a mask. Masks provide instant results and creates a unique wellness experience at home. We recommend using a mask that is going to replenish moisture loss, have powerful ingredients with a deep action, calm your complexion from sun burnt to sun kissed, alleviate itchy and dry patches, cushion fine lines and make the skin feel soft and smooth. We highly recommend our Hydro Foam Mask.
- SPF!!! We have saved the most important and fundamental don’t-leave-home-without-it tip for last! It is important to use sun protection all year round, especially during summer when the burning UVB rays are much stronger and the aging UVA rays maintains constant throughout the seasons. Applying a broad-spectrum sun cream with SPF30 – 50 will keep your skin in optimal condition long-term. We highly recommend our Cellular Sun Shield SPF50 to protect your skin from natural and artificial light.
The best way to protect skin health and prevent sun damage is to limit sun exposure. Avoid prolonged time in the sun, rather choose to be in the shade than direct sunlight, wear protective clothing and sunglasses and use sun cream daily, even if it is cloudy day!
Now is the time to start implementing sun protective behaviour, the earlier the better. Limit time in the sun to protect your skin against early wrinkles, damage, and disease. Being sun smart is a good thing!